Sunday, January 31, 2010

I love blog

I have a long history of blogging, and have never really divulged it, so here goes:

In 2001, I realized the capacity the internet had for connecting with people. Blogs were still explaining that “blog” came from the word “weblog”, and they were just beginning to get mainstream (not yet so much for commercial use, thank god). The internet was awesome, and people on it were still mostly interesting and intriguing. I opened my first blog at xanga. I’m keeping that blog forever, it has posts on it from when I was young and impressionable.. and 14!

I started using blogging as an outlet for my mind, for my sanity. Things were really tough on the homefront, and the only solace I found was through my journaling. I always kept one IRL, but found blogging (and typing) easier to do. I blogged less for others and more for myself. I was able to rant about things that bothered me, interesting experiences and weird, esoteric poetic prose pieces.

Eventually, I developed my html and photoshop skills, and moved myself from xanga to hosted sites. This is probably my fondest experience of blogging.

I met a lot of really genuine, friendly people who were willing to host others for free. I loved making layouts each month, creating different code and images. I LOVED BLOGGING. Eventually, everyone including myself grew up and couldn’t make the commitment to a full-on site, so I moved myself to livejournal and kept up my blogging. I met some people, and the one person who sticks out in my mind from my lj past life is Chris. We became good friends, moving from aim to texts to phone calls in one summer. We are still amazingly close friends, now keeping in touch from each end of the US (CA to NY).

Sometime after summer 2004 was when my bloglife started to die. I began finally rebelling my family life and started going out more regularly. I have to say that is mostly due to my boyfriend at the time, but I don’t regret it. I started fighting for independence„ freedom, and room to breathe. I still wish I kept up blogging, though. I miss being able to look back on that part of my life and seeing the changes that were happening.

I went to college, still living at home, in Fall 2005. By this time, blogging was a faint memory of something I used to do. I still kept a physical journal, but homelife was beginning to really get to me.

Since then I have not been able to really make a decent effort in keeping up my writing or my mind. I want to start up again, and I’m hoping to get back into the groove. I think it’ll be a lot easier because now we have smartphones and wireless internet and web2.0 and a million things that makes posting so much easier.

The main question is, will I still have things worth writing? Things worth sharing? I always question the validity of posts and what people are trying to say or share.

What I want to share is the feeling I live my life with, the sentiment and poetry I see in the things I experience.

We’ll see, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment